Monday, July 19, 2010

Textile Crafts Exhibition



This is one of the final pieces from my final major project exhibition. I decided to use ‘Calon Lan’ lyrics, a hymn sang at my parents wedding as the main text for this piece. I also explored postcards given to my grandmother over the years some of which were in Welsh but mostly in English. I enjoyed looking at the different handwriting and the spelling mistakes which made them almost accidently quaint.
I have combined the use of the English and Welsh language to represent my bilingual lifestyle; the English text has been embroidered in black to represent the overshadowing of the Welsh language in contemporary Wales; with only an average of 20% of the population being able to speak Welsh and 16% can speak, read and write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment